Saturday, October 4, 2008

Great Experience

Friday morning Deena and I went to the Humanitarian Center and helped put hygiene kits together. Last Sunday our bishop read a letter over the pulpit from the Presiding Bishop asking people in our area to help put kits together. I don't know what the area includes so perhaps many of you heard the same letter. It was asking for 6100 volunteers to assemble 392,000 hygiene kits in the next few weeks. I guess with recent events they have become low on the kits.
Our stake was assigned the time of Friday morning. I had been to the center a few times on a tour but never actually worked there. What a cool place! It is so very organized and everyone works so efficiently. It is amazing to see in action. They have stations set up where eight people stand and assemble the kits. Our group managed to put together 1,680 in 3 1/2 hours. Which I think isn't too bad considering one of the guys at our station was blind and a lady was pretty old and slow moving (no I'm not talking about myself). The blind guy was pretty funny and kept us laughing. A couple of times I teased him a little and moved the toothpaste so he couldn't find it. (I know, I'm mean). It was interesting how we started out going great guns but that last half hour was a killer. We had all slowed down and were barely standing. My whole body ached after but it was so worth it. It warmed my heart not only to be able to participate but to see the sacrifice others made to be there. I did ask our group why someone hadn't called Carol Mikita so we could be on one of those shows they have during half time of general conference.

1 comment:

Liz said...

What a great and wonderful day. I am sure the aches and pain were worth the outcome and the memories you will have of the fun had while serving.
Love you.