I had an interesting start to my day. I got to work at my usual 6am time and found one other person there standing in the vestibule between the outer door and the door to the 3M building. She said her badge wouldn’t work to open the door. So I tried mine and no luck. 3M is laying off 1800 people and we started to wonder if this was their way of telling us. Well silly (stupid, really) me I didn’t wear a coat because I thought I would have just a short walk from my warm car to the building. So I debated going back to my car and running out all my gas or staying put and hoping for help. As time went on more people arrived and crammed themselves in the vestibule…for the body heat mostly. I started to feel like I was in an episode of The Office. Every person who came in did the same three things. They had to try their badge, ask if there was another way in and ask if we had called someone to help get us in. I started thinking “Do we look that stupid to this newcomer to our little huddled group?” I guess we probably did resemble a truckload of dump sheep, but we had already checked those things out. Then people keep telling the same stories over and over to people as they came and started telling jokes about the whole situation. I just kept my silence and hoped for a quick rescue. There is a phone outside the building that is used to call people inside. But two problems with that…..no one knew anyone’s extension and there wasn’t anyone inside anyway. Someone suggested calling 411 to get the home number of the facilities guy but that was scraped when we realized his name was Alan Smith…..how many Alan Smiths are there?
Finally someone came who knew his number and thankfully he was there about 20 minutes later. So I spent an hour getting to know some of my fellow employees up close and personal. Moral to the story: wear a coat and don’t go in to work so early!
WTH
10 years ago
13 comments:
YES!! I'm sorry I'm not taking joy in your early morning pain. I am shouting YES because my Aunt Treena is officially the coolest for knowing about The Office. I know that sounds a little juvenille, but really how many moments like this do we get? I'm glad you got to exprience the humor! (and managed not to punch someone, I certainly would have)
Loves,
Thanks! It always warms my heart when the young people call me cool. :-)
I couldn't punch anyone. My hands were shoved tightly into the pockets of my jeans to keep them warm. :-)
I do appreciate the humor of The Office since I feel like I work with many of the characters. That show really nails it.
I must be so out of it, because Kim, Katrina, and Jon watch the office and laugh so hard and I don't even think it is funny - not cool!!!
Why did none of your badges work?
My kids want to know why I am sitting alone at my computer laughing so hard... sometimes I wonder if they think I have lost it. I don't know what's worse that I am laughing out loud at the computer or that when they ask what is so funny "Aunt Treena!" works for an answer.
The Office is our favorite show of all time. Branden has a Michael Scott that works for him as a loan officer. I swear to you he is just like him. There have been many times that you just cringe when he speaks because what he says is wrong on soooooo many levels.
I'm glad you kept you hands in you pockets when asked the hard questions. I always love the super smart people who can help you out with the OBVIOUS.
Thanks for sharing!
There is a magnet in the door that is suppose to release when you swipe your badge in front of the security thingy. I didn't ever hear why it was malfunctioning. I do know they have been beefing up security around here. I would say mission accomplished!
This morning it worked fine....and I did wear a coat.
I have always been the clown so I'm proud of being the answer to what's funny. It's as good as being cool.
What is Dunder Mufflin?
What is Dunder Mufflin?
Dunder Mifflin Paper Company, Inc. is the name of the fictional paper sales company that all the loonies in The Office work for.
Oh, thanks. You can tell how much I know about "The Office"
Well, you may have limited knowledge about a silly TV show but you know a lot about things that are much more important.
Thanks for the compliment; however, I doubt I have any more knowledge than anyone else. I have my T.V. time, too.
Post a Comment