Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Oh the weather outside is frightful!

Okay, okay, I know we are probably balmy compared to what the Gotbergs are experiencing. "Lake effect" snow probably has a whole new meaning for them! But it's cold enough for me.

Last night our neighbors started a new tradition. Instead of giving neighbor gifts we gathered at their house for hot chocolate and toasting marshmallows. People used the money they would have spent on neighbor gifts and bought things the food bank is in need of and loaded them into a truck to be taken there. It was really nice until the smoke (and my cold) made me start coughing and hot chocolate came out my nose! If only it had been last week....we would have been standing around in shirtsleeves. But I'm glad to see the snow. It feels more like Christmas.

I liked this tradition and hope it will last for a long time. Not only are we helping those in need, but we don't have to think of some "clever" useless thing to give everyone :-)

Anybody else got some fun stuff you're doing that you want to share????

1 comment:

Liz said...

Steve and Malinda have this, "Don't Give You Neighbor a Gift" party for the past six years now. Each year they pick a different charity to give to. We have given to Make a Wish, The Christmas Box Internatinal, A child with cancer in New York and this year and last year to "Impressions of The Heart".
I love the tradition. They have an open house all evening and we all bring a pot luck item to share. It is always an amazing buffet. Not to mention it helps the needy and takes the pressure off gift giving and those cute ideas that I don't come up with on my own.