Monday, January 5, 2009

Lucy and Ethel

Deena and I have had several experiences that make us feel like Lucy and Ethel. I don’t think we have figured out who is who but that doesn’t really matter. Our neighbors have had more than one laugh watching us attempt to do things in our yard.

So the reason I bring this up is because of what happened last night. About 1:30am the back-up battery of the smoke alarm in my bedroom decided to let me know it was dying. So every so often it would let out this rather loud chirp. You all know what I mean. Can someone…anyone tell me why this never, ever happens during the day. We have experienced this several times and it’s always in the middle of the night. The chirps were just far enough apart that I would lay there and think perhaps I was going to have a late Christmas Miracle and it was just going to stop. About the time I thought maybe it was going to it would send out another reminder. Have you ever seen the Friends episode where Phoebe tangles with a smoke alarm? Very funny!!! So that’s what I’m thinking about in between beeps. Finally I decide this just isn’t going away so of course I go into Deena’s room and wake her up because I’m not going to go through this alone. So here’s the big problem, I have a vaulted ceiling in my bedroom so this was going to take more than a chair to fix. It would require the big tall ladder out in the shed. We have lived in this house for 13 years and just recently got a shed last summer. So up until then the big tall ladder would have been in the garage. So we trudge out to the back yard and of course the shed door has ice and snow in front of it. I’m pretty sure we owe our neighbors an apology for all the noise we made at 2am this morning. We get the big tall ladder out and manage to get it all the way upstairs to my bedroom without doing too much damage to the paint and walls. Deena had to climb up because I had my coke-bottle glasses on and well I’m as blind a bat even with them on. She got the alarm down and had to go down in the basement and rummage around to find a new battery. While she was doing this I was cleaning up the cat puke. It’s seems the chirping was too much for our cat and she threw up. She has a delicate stomach though you wouldn’t know it to look at her. After we got the big tall ladder back out into the garage we got back to bed about 2:30am. I lay awake until 3:15am and my alarm went off at 4am. Needless to say I’ll be drinking a lot of Diet Dew today.

6 comments:

Liz said...

Always in the night!!! Because our home is so open it takes us at least one half hour to isolate the room. We go around shutting doors and listening in that room and then on to the next room. If we can't find the room then we start standing in the halls under the stupid things. They drive us crazy when the chirping begins. I wonder if that "put in an new battery when day-light savings time changes" "THEY" suggest would solve every having a chriping night? Who are THEY anyway?

Treena said...

We've done the stand in the hall thing too. Seems so silly in the middle of the night. I have often wondered who "They" are too, but maybe "They" are on to something...

Liz said...

THEY are people who sleep through the night and NEVeR hear chriping or have the fun experiences we ahve :O}

Treena said...

That's too funny that you have chirping! At least it's at a decent hour!!! And yes the bright side is that in this day and age I'm very grateful to have a job!

Deb Hansen said...

I got caught laughing out loud again (my kids) and it reminded me of you getting locked out of the office and freezing in the breezeway.

Treena said...

Yeah, another journal entry....except I don't keep a journal. So remember all of these so you can retell them at my funeral...The adventures of crazy Aunt Treena.