Wednesday, February 11, 2009

This is really lame...but, I'm so wishy washy I'm always looking for others to help me make decisions.

So Macie starts Kindergarten in the fall. She barely makes the deadline here, but we think we'll send her and see how it goes. The question is where to send her? The public school we are zoned for doesn't have the best reputation and I've had a couple of really negative experiences with them myself, but I decided to give them a second chance and met with the principal and vice principal this week to discuss my questions and concerns. They were both really nice people, very professional and had all the "right" answers to my questions. So here's the thing... I think Macie would be okay there. I think she'd learn to read and write and probably make a few friends along the way, but the school has a few big obstacles they face and I'm just not sure how these big obstacles would affect her personally or if they even would.

#1 They are a title one school, over 85% of their children are on free or reduced lunch meaning that many of the children come from families that are barely scraping by. (but aren't we all?)

#2 In the average class of 30 students there are about 3 that have fathers who live with them in their homes.

#3 95% of the student's parent or parents both work full time.

Again, these are major obstacles for this school to be facing and I must add that considering these statistics I'm astonished by what this school has been achieving. For the past 4 years they have been accredited and have maintained similar test scores to schools nearby them that don't have the same obstacles to face and overcome. I'm not trying to say my daughter is better than these students or that she deserves better than any one of them. I'm just wondering how this will affect her if we decided to have her attend this school at some point in time. We are actually leaning heavily toward sending her to a private school for Kindergarten. I've found a preschool that offers a Kindergarten class and this class would provide a great learning environment for Macie. I think my favorite thing about it is that they only have 9 students in the class so she would get a lot of individual attention and needs met. This is especially attractive to me since she will be so young! (she's won't even turn 5 until after school starts) and because she is so shy, but this school only offers Kindergarten and the other private schools in the area are either too expensive for us or are run by churchs that require the parents and students to sign "faith statements" that are contradictory to our beliefs. So pretty much after Kindergarten the only option left is a public school setting.

Anywho, I'm rambling and I'm sure ya'll aren't really interested, but if you stuck with reading this and got to the end let me know what you think or any insights you've had with your own experiences.

2 comments:

LeShel said...

You know I love charter schools and neighborhood schools and private schools and home schools. Just pray and the answer will be forthcoming. He will tell you where to send your child and if the matter is not so significant then He will let you know that also. LOVE YOU!!

Deb Hansen said...

Braxden was a late birthday (August 28th) he is a tiny kid and I stewed about the same things. We decided to have him attend a third year of pre-school. I asked the kindergarten teacher that Abby had what her thoughts were and she told me that it isn't a problem for girls most of the time to be the youngest, but with boys the maturity thing could be a problem. She said that you don't really begin to notice the youngest child in the class until the third grade and that is when they begin to thrive or struggle. I was glad that it wasn't my first child, as I would have been lost about what to do. I too looked in to private schools and came to the conclusion that it wasn't so much the school, as it was that I was having to let my baby go. Nowhere was ever going to be good enough! When they go to school they are spending more time away from home that they do at home.....AWFUL! I volunteer at the school as room mom for both Abby and Brax. I always want to be involved and aware of what is going on with them while they are not with me. It also gives you the ability to get to know the teachers and students that they are around.

You are the only one who can truly know what the best thing is to do for her. TRUST YOURSELF!