Friday, April 3, 2009

Mom


Today marks the third year of mom’s passing. I know as a family we all deal with this in our own way. There’s probably a lot of you that didn’t even realize it was today and that’s okay. Remembering the exact day isn’t important. My way to deal is to post a little something in her memory.


We all know she wasn’t perfect, but who is? She made her way through life doing everything the best way she knew how. I find myself saying and doing some things like her I vowed I never would. But I’ve realized it’s not so bad because it keeps me feeling close to her.


I have a lot of great memories about mom. A couple of favorites are her own unique understanding of clothing sizes. To her the size 16W meant 16 Wide not 16 Womens. Boy, ain’t that the truth! She once told me she had worn the same bra for 10 years. I believe it!


Anyone who visited with her that last week in the hospital knows how she had to struggle to breathe. This may sound odd, but it reminded me of my favorite part of the Book of Mormon. King Benjamin’s speech where he reminds us from where all things come and that the very next breath we take is possible because our Heavenly Father allows it to be. That has a whole new meaning to me now.


One of my favorite memories took place her last night here on earth. It’s watching Dad holding Mom’s hand as she slipped away. As painful as the whole experience was I felt a sense of peace because I knew they would one day be together again. I’m so grateful to be part of an eternal family.


Mom did a lot of quiet service for others that was not known or noticed by many. Most of that service was done while she was in great physical pain. She was pioneer stock who toughed out many things. I’m not nearly as tough as she was.


I want to share one last memory. The October before she died she wanted to see her cousin Alene who lives in Salt Lake. They had grown up together in Lehi and were quite close. So Deena and I gave her a ride up there. She was so appreciative that we would do this for her. In fact she sent a little note in the mail after thanking us. But really we should have been thanking her. To sit and listen to the two of them talk about their experiences growing up, the trouble they got into and where life in general had taken them was priceless. They had us laughing our heads off one minute and tearing up the next. Talk about a couple of characters! I miss you mom!


A few days after Mom’s passing Nancy Batchelor sent me an email with a quote I wanted to share.


Your mother is always with you…she’s the whisper of the leaves as you walk down the street; she’s the smell of bleach in your freshly laundered socks; she’s the cool hand on your brow when you’re not well. Your mother lives inside your laughter. And she’s crystallized in every teardrop. She’s the place you came from, your first home; and she’s the map you follow with every step you take. Nothing on earth can separate you. Not time, not space….not even death.


Since Easter is approaching I thought I’d share a few pics from one of the Easter egg hunt/dying events of long ago at Mom and Dad’s house.

8 comments:

LeShel said...

Thanks for sharing your memories of your mother. I'm glad that you have so many moments of joy to bring you gladness on days that are sad. I didn't really take the time to get to know Grandma super well. I'm thankful for the blog you've put together so that I can learn so much and also get to know relatives that were once distant, who are now distant but close in my heart. LOVE YOU TREENA!!

Liz said...

Love you, Treena.

Amy said...

Thanks for your thoughts Treena.
I've been thinking about Grandma Jo's passing for a few days now because I've been preparing Easter eggs for an upcoming hunt with some friends of ours. Easter time reminds me of Grandma the most because the Easter egg hunts she planned for us were the only Easter egg hunts I ever had as a child. I don't remember the party that you posted the pictures from (being that I'm the little tike with big bird on my shirt) but I most vividly remember the one held at the Utah lake boat dock. I remember searching everywhere for that one special egg with my name on it.

I'm sure grateful for all of my ancestors and the noble heritage that I am indebted to them for.

I hope everyone finds today to be one filled with healing and peace.

Deena said...

Great memories of your mom. What a faithful powerful woman she was. I remember her for her determination to always make sure everyone had ice cream and cookies when they visited. I miss her although I'm grateful she is now out of pain and in a much better place.

Deb Hansen said...

Thanks for sharing this. It put a smile on my face and warmed my heart.

Teara Taylor said...

I miss Grandma's odd little comments that made me laugh like one time I walked in and she said "what's the secret to getting your hair to look so greasy!"I also miss her homemade mac and cheese. She tried teaching me several times. I never could get it to taste like hers. I had the exact thought Treena did when Grandma passed watching Grandpa hold her hand. It was the sweetest thing I've ever seen. I remember thinking I hope Bryan and I are just like that at there age. You could feel Grandpas love for her.

Liz said...

Here is a recipie, from my niece that is suppossed to be so good that all who eat will LOVE mac & cheese ~ a to die for treat. I haven't tried it but many of our family have and they all agree it is to die for. One niece-in-law says "I now know what they eat in Heaven".
Mac and Cheese with tomatoes:
7 tablespoons butter
1 1/4 cup small pieces torn crusty bread (I usually cut the bread into 1 inch squares)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
Coarse salt and freshly groun pepper
1 pound elbow macaroni
1 quart milk (4 cups)
5 tablespoons flour
4 cups cheddar cheese
1 pound cherry tomatoes

Preheat oven to 375. Butter a 9x13 baking dish. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and add the thyme to it. Then using a medium bowl toss the butter with the bread. If you like to use more bread than just the 1 1/4 cups then melt 3 tablespoons of butter. I usually use the small loaves from Costco and use about 2 loaves per pan I am making. Add salt and pepper to taste (to bread).

Bring a large pot of water to boil and add salt. Cook pasta until just beginning to soften , 3 minutes, (it will not be fully cooked). Drain and rinse.

Heat milk in a saucepan over medium heat until warm. Heat remaining 5 tablespoons butter in a high sided skillet or pot over medium heat until foaming. Add flour; cook, whisking, 1 minute. Whisk in warm milk a little at a time. Cook, whisking constantly, until bubbling and thickened, 10 minutes. Remove milk mixture from heat.

Add 2 tablespoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, remaining 2 tablespoons thyme, 1 tablespoon steak seasoning and cheese to milk mixture. Stir pasta and tomatoes into cheese sauce. Pour into buttered dish; sprinkle with bread mixture. Bake until bubbling and golden, about 30 minutes.

I usually let it cool a little before I serve it.

HAPPY COOKING!!!

Liz said...

If anyone tries this recipe you will have to let me know if it is really that amazing. I don't think I will be making it for Kim and I.

"Honey, I made Mac and Chesse for dinner tonight and there is enough for the entire week". YEAH! :O|