I asked dad today what he would like me to add in his behalf on the blog. He recited the following:
Make up your face with sunshine.
Put on a great big smile.
Make up you eyes with laughter.
Folks will be laughing with you in a while.
Whistle a tune of gladness.
Gloom never was in style.
The future is brighter
When hearts are lighter.
Smile! Smile! Smile!
He said this was the secret to having a good day and that's what he tries to do everyday.
Dad continues to find ways to serve others. He is always telling me about something he has done for either another resident or a member of the staff. For those of you who don't know, he even has a church calling. He plays the organ for Priesthood mtg. When he told me this I know I had a weird look on my face for two reasons....1 He's way to shaky to play the organ and 2. he has never played the organ before. After letting me stew for a minute he got that twinkle in his eye and started to laugh. He took me to the room where they hold Priesthood and there was an electric keyboard that is made so that you only have to touch one key and it plays the hymn of your choice. He loves doing this and takes it very seriously. He reads the lesson and then gives a lot of thought about what the song should be to go along with it. To me this is a continuation of the great example his has always been of serving others.
WTH
10 years ago
5 comments:
Thanks for posting this. I love knowing that Grandpa has a calling. It's wonderful how involved he is in choosing the hymns. Yesterday I wrote down what hymns we sang during Stake Conference because I was certain they had a link to the messages that were shared. I thought I'd spend some time studying the messages. It is wonderful that he dedicates so much energy to giving purpose to what is sung.
That is the best advice I have ever heard. Honestly, it should be made into on of those vinyl signs and hung for a daily reminder.
Grandpa amazes me with how good his memory is. Mine isn't that good anymore. He likes to recite cowboy poetry down at the dining room. It's no wonder he is everybody's favorite there.
I think music is so very powerful. It's something that touches me deeply. I have always wished I could sing. I have been requested NOT to join our ward choir by the director.
There is also a lot to be found in studying the meaning of the words. They are pretty powerful too.
Don't feel bad Treena, they kicked Mike out of the ward choir here :)
It's really kind of funny. When they are asking people to join the choir I always get this meaningful look from director that says "Except you Treena".
Post a Comment