Monday, July 7, 2008

New Comments feature

This one took some brainpower to figure out...and it may still have some kinks, but the idea here is this:

On the sidebar is a section that says "recent comments." This is a list of the 5 most recent comments made on posts. If you click on the list it will take you to a different blog, but if you just look at the title of the post the new comment is on, then you can go to that post and read the comment.

This feature allows you to see recent comments made instead of having to search through all the posts to see if any new comments have been made.

How this works: basically when you make a comment, it emails it to me, then my email filters it and forwards it to a sudo blog page (the one you'd see if you click on the recent comments list) and then this blog has a setting to read that blog and post updates from that blog)

Don't worry that doesn't have to make sense to anyone but me. I'm just so proud that I figured this out I had to explain it to everyone :)

Hopefully it will work the way I think it should...we'll see, but so far so good.

7 comments:

Amy said...

testing testing!

Liz said...

Way to go all you techies! :O)

Treena said...

You are amazing! You should be proud! I think your brains must come from your mom's side. Just kidding, Kim. Thanks for getting this going for us.

Treena said...

My recent comments doesn't seem to be updating.But my computer is running slow this morning so maybe it is just taking awhile. Or maybe it's because I'm suppose to be working rather than looking at this. I think of if as multi-tasking. :-)

So if I can get Amy and Deb to do all the work on the blog I guess that does make me the boss :-)

Amy said...

I apparently called myself smart too quickly... hmmm

Amy said...

Sorry this feature still doesn't show who the author of the comment was. I had instructions to add that, but I can't find them anywhere. I guess it is better than nothing. By the way...if you click on one of the comments listed there, it will take you to a recent comments blog, then if you click on the title box...you can see all the comments in the order they were made...right on that site. Kinda handy if you just want to catch up on comments being made.

Treena said...

I think what we have is great. Thanks so much for doing it.