On the 4th of July Dad read 2 Nephi 1:1-15. He would like all of us to take a minute and read it. He said it was very fitting that he should read it on that particular day. It made it more meaningful for him and it applies to our day.
We also talked A LOT about hunting. I would share some of the stories but I couldn't tell them nearly as well as he did. (I think some of them sounded a bit fishy.) They all kind of ran together but there was something about JR and three elk(apparently I can't say more because he'll get in trouble). Also something about having an elk in the back of the truck that was leaking bloody snow and stopping at a gas station and some guy wondering what was in the back of the truck. Oh and there was one about Steve running right past the elk he was trying to shoot.
The thing I liked about these stories was watching Dad's face as he told them. He truly has some very fond memories. Not particularly of what he killed but the time he spent with his sons and grandsons. These are times he really cherishes. I envy them for having those kind of memories.
I was going to start a new thing today. I was going to start adding some entries from Mom's journals. Make it kind of a day in history kind of thing. But Karl wasn't able to get the journals to me yet. I'll start that when he does. Hopefully everyone will like that. It's a way to make Mom a part of this too.
WTH
10 years ago
5 comments:
I've always wondered about those hunting stories, especially since none of the women folk were around.
I'd love to read from Grandma's journal. Great idea!
I'm glad you like it. I can't take credit for the idea because it was Deena's. I thought it was a good one too.
I was amazed at all the journals that she kept through the years. Dad was reading them at the rest home several times when I have gone to see him. He loves them and I thought there is something I had no idea she did. What a testament to her total obedience, elegance and yet simplicity of life. Meaning all her needs not many wants and yet so content and happy; elegance in her appearance and her homes, dedication to the Lord and her service and obedience. Love her and miss her. We all need to be reminded of her greatness and follow more closely her example.
Yes, she was very good at keeping a journal. I didn't know how good until I saw how many she had. Mom didn't always share her deepest feelings so it's good she wrote them down so we can read about them.
Post a Comment