BODY WORLDS 3 is a first-of-its-kind exhibit where visitors learn about anatomy, physiology and health by viewing real human bodies. The bodies are preserved through plastination, which is a groundbreaking method for specimen preservation invented by Dr. Gunther von Hagens in 1977.
BODY WORLDS 3 & the Story of the Heart features more than 200 authentic human specimens including whole body plastinates, organs, translucent body slices, and a special presentation on the heart.
8 comments:
Branden and I have been wanting to go to this, thanks for the info.
I'm pretty excited about it. We are going Nov 7th. This year I'm making my bday a three day celebration...Wed, Thurs and Friday. So it's part of that. How many people do you know who want to look at cadavers for their bday...I know, I'm weird.
I love the three day birthday idea and cadavers would be a great way to celebrate...I'm weird too!
This is one of those things where initially I think...eek not for me. But then the more I think about it the more I'm curious and the more I'd just like to take a peek and then I'd probably be totally drawn in.
I think you would Amy. If you look at it as the miracle of the human body and not a bunch of dead bodies it really becomes something fascinating.
At least I think so.
Oh, and Deb it's a good thing there are weird people like us or there wouldn't be any medical people in the world.
My Orthopedic surgeon is a very funny guy and we were talking about my surgery and how not gentle they are with you. He was telling Branden and I that when he was in medical school he was doing a study on how bones break and was pushing a deadline so he went to the school at about 2:00 in the morning to get it done. He had keys to the building and was there all alone. Part of his study was to see how to repair various femur fractures he had done it many times before. This particular time he actually thought about what he was doing and it freaked him out. He said "I found myself in a freezer surrounded by cadavers and rummaging through a container of body parts trying to find a leg at 2:00 in the morning, that's when I knew I had a weird and sick job."
So, even the best of us get weirded out at times and while I like that kind of stuff if you really think about it....GROSE!!
When I was in Rad Tech school I got to see an autopsy. We were right there gathered around up close and personal. I was pretty proud of myself because unlike several of my fellow students I wasn't freaking out. At least I wasn't until I happen to look at the guy's hand and see he still had his wedding ring on. Then he became a real person, with a real family that was grieving about their loss. Then I had to step back and pull myself together.
Post a Comment