Saturday, September 6, 2008

Mom and Dad

Dad wanted me to encourage everyone to vote. Okay....to vote republican. He is pretty impressed with McCain and Palin. He is especially impressed with Sarah Palin. He thinks she can do a lot of good. He said if you disagree to feel free to let him know. He wanted to say this because it seems he has heard a lot of us say we aren't sure who to vote for.

Here are a few scriptural trivia questions for you all:

1. Who was the first chief judge for the Nephities? How long did he serve as judge and high priest of the church?
2. Who was the second chief judge. Who appointed him and why?

He would like chapter and verse please.




The following is from one of Mom's journals. It is a lengthy entry so I'm summarizing a little. It's a trip they took with a group of seniors to Branson and other places.

Sept 9-16, 1994

Darrel and I have had the most delightful 8 days of our lives. We flew to St. Louis, Mo and arrived about 3pm. Our room was beautiful and huge. The hotel had all kinds of shops. I bought a plate. I am collecting plates. Next morning we toured the city. We saw the Gateway Arch and even rode to the top of it. We saw the most beautiful cathedral I have ever seen. It took one family four generations to finish it. We got on the bus and traveled to Hannibal, say Mark Twain's home. Also homes of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn.
Then to Arkansas where we saw a play about Christ's last week on earth. It was very good. More than 200 actors.
On to Branson. We saw the Osmonds. It was good. (Somewhere there is a picture of Mom with the Osmonds. She looks pretty excited in it.) That night we saw Andy Williams. I didn't care too much for that. It was so loud. Also went to Lawerenc Welk, Mel Tillis, Will Rogers Follies. Boy we sure keep on the move. We hardly get time to eat. At night we are so tired we just drop into bed.
We saw the Baldnobbers. (????) It was a great real hoe down, good country music. These are the people who stated Branson. I really enjoyed it. It's a good thing it was lively or I'm sure a lot would be sleeping.
On the way to Kansas City to catch our plane we stopped at points of interest along the way.
When we landed in Denver they told us our plane for Salt Lake was 1 hour late. Boy that didn't sit too well because we were all tired and wanting to get home. We finally got on the plane and taxied out ready to take off but the rudders wouldn't work. We sat in that plane with very little air for 1 and a half hours. They gave us ice water to keep us alive. What an experience!

2 comments:

Liz said...

I remember picture and video night of this trip. Some of those acts were VERY long, way too long. I thought our children were going to die before we left that evening. The edited journal entry was easier to make it through.
Our Chorale leader Sally Bytheway Brinton is so in love with Donny Osmond that it is ridiculous. Every time she gets carried away and swooning over him I just watch her husband and have to wonder. It reminds me of Marie's wedding at the temple the same time as one of the family members and she was so excited about the Osmond’s and Marie that I don't think she paid to much attention to who was getting married. Obviously neither did I; however, we was not at the wedding for some reason that I have also forgotten.

Anita said...

Answer to grandpa's question.

1. Alma the younger was the first chief judge and the high priest over the church. He served for 5 years and gave up the judgement seat to Nephihah. He did this because he felt the need to go on a mission to strengthen and establish the church throughout the land. He started in Zarahemla. (Alma 3?)