Monday, May 11, 2009

Good and Decent People

Recently someone close to me lost her job. She had been working there for over 37 years. She was a very dedicated and loyal employee who was doing the work of three people. But the corporate big-wigs didn’t care. They saw her as someone who was getting old and on the higher pay scale. She wasn’t the only one who got the boot, there were five others, one of these being a woman who is in the middle of chemo treatments for cancer.
I realize someone losing their job isn’t news, but what one person did about it might be. A younger worker at this same company didn’t like how his fellow co-workers were being treated and he gave his notice. He didn’t want to work for a company that was so rotten to their employees. He quit even though he has a young family and no new job prospect lined up. Some may think he’s crazy. I admire him for his courage and sense of decency. And, he has done one more thing. When my friend talks about this young man her eyes light up and I see hope in them. He has made her feel like someone does care about all the long hours she has worked and sacrifices she has made. He has validated her and the others efforts. Isn’t it great to know there are still people like this in the world? He has reassured her and the others that he knows everything for him will be fine… and I think it will. I also think things will work out for my friend.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Wow! This is amazing, to think her felt so strongly about it that he did as felt was necessary. I am sure she feels a lot of support and hopefully he will be blessed with something better. This is like the committment we might all be asked to in regards to the Lord's true church and it's values. I might ask myself and others, how are we doing and how will we do?

Treena said...

Thought provoking comment. Thanks I need those!

LeShel said...

I'm still trying to think this over. I am so amazed at the fact that this man stood up and quit his job but I keep wondering if I could let Kjel walk away. I totally agree with what he did and I understand why the man did it I just can't stop thinking about how scary it would be to do it.
Like I said still thinking about it.

Treena said...

I know! It's just mind boggling. If he were a single guy, doing something like this would be admirable, but having a family who depends on his income takes it to a whole other level.