Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Random story

This happened when I was working at Salt Lake Clinic downtown in the Radiology department. One day I accidentally swallowed the pull tab off a diet dew can. This was back in the day when the tab came all the way off the can when you opened it and I had the bad (and stupid) habit of putting it in the can instead of throwing it away. I don't know why I did that. I think it had something to do with recycling. More likely, it was a result of too much radiation to the brain .
Anyway, it was just about time for me to go home so I was chuggin' down the last of my drink and down went the tab. I could feel it stick in my throat. I kept telling myself not to panic. I was afraid it was going to cut up my throat or else go down farther. I went to find someone to x-ray my neck (lucky I was right there) so we could see where it was. I was so embarrassed to admit what I had done, but what ya gonna do? Everybody thought I was joking because I was so calm. I finally convinced them and someone took the picture. Sure enough there it was. I took it to one of the rads to look at and when he heard my story and looked at the picture, he then gave me a look like "remind me why we hired you?" I actually got along with him pretty good so I wasn't offended. He was very helpful and sprang right into action by calling one of the endogastric guys to see what they could do. They were going to go down my throat and get it because they couldn't let it just pass on its own and risk it cutting up everything on the way through.
While he was on the phone I started gagging a little so I went to the bathroom and luckily was able to throw it up. I was so relieved! I wasn't excited about them going after it!
So once it was out and I was okay we all had a good laugh about it. I got kidded about that for quite awhile and I deserved it. Needless to say I quit putting the pull tabs in my pop can after that.

2 comments:

Liz said...

This would have been even better, if it would have been in the days of "Tab" and you could have said that you swallowed the tab of your Tab.
Good story and even though I would not wish throwing up on anyone I am glad that was your outcome.

Treena said...

Hahaha! That would have made it better, but I only drink diet dew.