The house is empty. I'm here but there are no sounds other than the motor of my computer and the occasional howl of the neighbors dog. How can this be, for it is summer vacation and truly the ruckus should be surrounding me? It's a special day. I am going to rough camp. This means that all the boys have been shipped out. It's not just today but all week that I'll be gone. Everything is in place for success to happen at home so I leave no worries and take no concerns. I will miss my guys. I will fall asleep tonight wishing one was next to me. But alas I am going anyway and can't wait to leave in two hours. I was so excited it was hard to sleep last night. I have all kinds of trouble planned for me and the girls to get into. Sorry mom I will be going toilet papering. Don't worry I'll have lots of people with me, so I won't get lost (none of which will be boy scouts, so I definitely won't get lost.) It's not often that adults get to cater to the child inside them. Luckily I have my kids that regularly require that. I've also been blessed with this calling in YW's that has brought so much joy to me I can't even put it in context. And to think I cried when they called me to this position.
9 comments:
Oh how I envy you! I had such great times when I was a YW leader. Those girls became the daughters I never had and still have a place in my heart. I too am headed to our girls camp this Thursday, but only for the day. I am going as an "old" lady from the RS. The presidency is going up to attempt to show the girls that we aren't scary and can be fun too. We are taking them ice cream, doing a craft and we have a little song we made up that we are going to sing to them. They will roll their eyes at us but I will love it. I can't wait! Please do get into all the trouble you can..for both of us!
And just wondering...are you the president?
Yeah, Kim and I and five other "OLDER" couples were called Sunday to serve the meals at Youth Conference (Snow College) to the young people. People like Norm and Collen Bangerter and others who are a little bit older. While I love teenagers; that's why I loved my SHMS library job I know none of the youth in our ward. I guess I can throw a sandwich at them and prove we can still move about in our old age.
LeShel is not the President, but in the Presidency.
Are you talking all the meals? That's a lot of sandwiches!
So which arm are you throwing with now days??? Can your aim be that good with either one of them? Tell the kids to duck :-)
I hate feeling like I have been put out to pasture. I've still got a few good years in me :-) I can still go ice blocking with the best of them.
LeShel would be a great YW president. But it is very time consuming.
Just one day's worth of meals and it souds like there is little to no preparation. I will be throwing "Lefty", it is even harder to use my rught hand without the cast - many restrictions for about two months and no cast for protection. I thought doing my hair was hard with the cast - NOT!
Being in the pasture sucks major especially when I/we have been so involved; that's what we get for moving to this ward.
Colleen Bangerter has Alzheimer's really bad and they like to include she and Norm in anything they can.
We have been in dinner groups with them and there seems to be this weird relatioship thing with us and them. Good, but none the less weird. We are younger, lowlier, not as wealthy, not as knowlegeable in the gospel, and not from Granger. That is another story!!! Yet, Norm has even talked with us, in the past, about buying his house and we just kind of stand there and stare. We can't afford his spread.
Over half our ward is from Granger and they have history, they can talk all day about raising their children and a lot of their off-spring live here, too. They all hold callings and none of them are out to pasture. It is like you are always walking in on the party late. They all vacation together and party together. They are all wonderful sweet people and show love and kindness to others. So on with the ward and life we go.
LeShel was the Primary President for so many years and was heartbroken when she was released. Then terrified when she was called to YW. She is frightened of girls and can't stand "teen girl behavior" she is making every effort to love and understand them, but is sure that is why the Lord sent all boys to her home. Have fun at camp!!!
Here's our little ditty we are planning on singing to the girls. It's sung to the tune of the Adams Family.
You say we're old and boring.
Our meetings leave you snoring.
But we can be rip-roaring.
The Relief Society.
We're married and we're single.
Together we all mingle.
We wrote this silly jingle.
The Relief Society.
Enrichment, Visiting Teaching.
We even do some preaching.
With service we're far reaching.
The Relief Society.
You'll join with us someday.
So please don't go astray.
We're here to show the way.
The Relief Society.
Of course we will be doing all the finger snapping and such that go along with it. If they don't laugh at the song they will for sure laugh at my singing. Oh well, it's for a good cause.
"Gutsy" I couldn't pull it off.
It is a darling song though and I am sure you will all do well!
Break a leg.
I'm the beehive adviser. I had a wonderful time at camp. We stayed up late every night and on the last night I even convinced 3 of the girls to sleep outside under the stars and moon. It was wonderful. The girls were perfect and I've never laughed so hard or made such a fool of myself.... well at least not since my last visit to girls camp.
I'm still singing camp songs and the boys around here are begging me to be quiet!
I teach today so we'll see if I can be on a serious note with the girls, after a week of games that may be difficult.
Post a Comment