Monday, September 8, 2008

Bring on the Gray (or is it grey?)

I have decided to quit being a slave to my hair. I'm going to quit dying it. I am now about six weeks since my last dye job. (sounds like a 12 step progam) I'm a little concerned about how it will look. If it turns out as pretty as Dee's or Liz's or even my mom's I'll be happy. Guess we'll see.

The reason I'm sharing this is so you all won't be shocked next time you see me. Depending on when that is I could be in some phase of the "ugly" grow out, completely there, or nothing looks different because I chickened out and dyed it again. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

MaraDee said...

Since J.R went white so young, I didn't see any need for me to color my hair. I also didn't want the bother of keeping up with it. It's hard enough just keeping up with the haircuts. But every time I get a haircut, there seems to be more white in my lap.

Treena said...

I think you were smart to not even do the whole dye thing. I got my first gray hair in my thirties and I just wasn't ready to be gray yet.
It's too bad our society sees men with gray hair as one thing and women as another.

I don't think you should worry about the white you are seeing. Any grandma that is willing to ride the crazy rides at amusement parks is still young at heart. To me that is what's important.

Liz said...

Kim, who went grey very early asked me one day many, many years ago when I was going to start dying my hair. I was a little shocked since I had been looking as his grey hair since I married him and I said "NEVER".
I am not sure what he wanted to hear but I was not going to put out the money to keep up with the nice looking ($$$$) dye jobs. My hair grows fast enough I feel like I spend enough on hair cuts as it is. I start to look shaggy three weeks after a cut.
I have had many people asked me if my grey is natural of if I have it done and who my stylist is. It makes me laugh, because it is just my old lady hair and it's been on the top of my head for a long time.
Pam Fackrell Adamson (AF-1971) cuts my hair for $22.00 so it's not to bad. She is divorced from Mac Adamson and so she is related by an Ex-Ex relationship, since my sister is divorced from his brother Steve. I accidently made an appointment with Pam and not Amy at this salon, on my Amy's reccomendation and it was so weird. It has been fun the last two years to have Pam cut my hair and talk good old A.F. talk, which both of us have no current information on, so we just have our laughs from the past.

Treena said...

Good for you for never dying your hair.
Lately I have to go every four weeks to have it covered and that is just squeaking by. My roots were showing by then. I should have been having it done every three. It was also being very stubborn and getter harder to cover. So I just thought "Why the heck am I doing this? But I refuse to call it old lady hair.
My stylist assures me she can do some things to make this less painful. I hope she's right.