I love my manager at work. She is by far the best one I have ever had. Lee Min truly cares about her employees both on a work level and a personal level. From day one she has been an adventure. She is from Singapore and speaks very fast. For the first two weeks I wasn’t sure if she was even speaking English. I would smile and nod a lot. Sometimes that wasn’t always the best thing to do because later I found out I had committed to doing work things without really knowing it.
She likes to show appreciation for all of us by taking us out to lunch but we’re not talking Olive Garden. No siree bob! She likes to go to places that have authentic Chinese food. Places I have never heard of. She has seen me wrinkle my nose and taunted me to try new things. Out of courtesy to her and a desire to keep my job I have eaten things that I don’t EVER want to know what they were. In fact it has become the joke that when we go at least one dish needs to be “American Chinese” just for Treena. I see nothing wrong with a nice dish of sesame chicken. I can’t decide if everyone else has more sophisticated taste buds or are just too afraid to speak up. I do find it interesting that the “American Chinese” dish I request is always completely eaten while some of the other “nameless” dishes are not. Once there was some kind of fish dish, which still had it’s head with the staring eye, that Lee Min and Senthil (from India…another story all by itself) were debating with each other about who got to take the head home. Waste not, want not I guess.
This week is Chinese New Year. Lee Min has been “treating” us to different food dishes all week. She brings them into the office so at least I have my Lean Cuisine back up to eat for lunch. I’m told this can go for a 15-day period…..lucky me.
Yesterday’s was the most interesting so far. She brought in “Fah Chai”. Apparently it contains a seaweed that is called a “hair vegetable”. It looks like a bunch of black hair mixed into the dish. Sorry, but I drew the line with that one. Hair, or anything that resembles it, does not belong in food! Can’t wait to see what she brings today…..
WTH
10 years ago
4 comments:
Sounds interesting and somewhat dreadful. I like a lot of Chinese food, but only those dishes that I know what is in them and I guess they would be considered Americn Chinese. I do have three years of very wierd things from Japan under my belt and that was enough for me.
I definetaly was not adventurous in Ecuador, either.
Have a great 15 days of lunch surprises.
Since I'm now a freaky veggie I hate trying new foods. It seems that people try to trick you into eating animals. I do love trying new veggie foods but only from people I trust. Good luck with the Chinese New Year!
Thanks, I think I'm gonna need it :-0
I too draw the line at hair in my food....who am I kidding I had a had time eating in Mexico the first time we went. I think I would starve before I ate authentic chinese food :(
ENJOY!
Post a Comment