Grandpa has another gospel question for all of us. He wants to know if the apostle Paul was married and had kids. If so, what was his wife's name and name at least one kid. So that says to me he must have been married and had at least one kid. So there, I got you started.
This sounds like a seminary assignment to me. What do ya think Amy?
He mentioned that Julie and kids had been by to see him and that they are looking for a house to buy here in Utah.
WTH
10 years ago
7 comments:
That will be nice to have Jack, Julie and family back in Utah, again.
I have nothing to say about dad's quiz. I really am to dumb to know the answers. I wait for others to post and then learn the answers from them.
Come on Anita and Amy...
I can't even begin to tell you all that I have learned about Paul this year. Totally inspiring man!
Anywho... as far as marriage and children... there isn't exactly an answer to those questions.
Yes, it is believed that he was married though evidence leans toward the idea that he may have been a widower at the time of many of his missions and during the time her wrote some of his epistles.
The evidence is
#1 his positive attitude toward marriage and great counsel on the subject (Ephesians 5-6, Colossians 3)
#2 Paul argues in 1 Cor. 9 that apostles have the right to be married just like everyone else and even goes on to say that marriage is not just a right but a solemn duty.
#3 Jewish custom was for a man to marry at a young age, sometimes as early as 14 and Paul was a strict Pharisee and was taught according to the perfect manner of the law.
#4 He was a member of some Jewish ruling body (possibly the Sanhedrin) so Paul would have been expected to comply the requirements for his position. If he was unmarried it would have been entirely exceptional.
#5 Paul's calling and election had been made sure. He was sealed up unto eternal life. Since mo man can be exalted alone this is the crowning reason why we know Paul was married.
....now the case for why he was believed to be widowed during most of his missions and during the time most of his epistles were written:
#1 1 Cor. 7:7,8 Paul states, "For I would that all men were even as I myself..I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I."
as for Children... I have no idea.
Sorry
Way to go AMY. I don't know anything; however, I have amazing off spring who will embrace the questions and go for the answers, or already know them.
Can't wait to find out if Paul had children - Dad.
I can't believe all the information on Paul that I have learned from my daughter.
T H A N K S !!!
Nice job Amy! Very impressive! Grandpa says all the answers are in the New Testament....
Ask Dad why the Lord was upset with David for numbering... see 1st Chron. chapter 21
Okay...here's a little more information I've discovered:
In both epistles to Timothy, Paul starts his letter by addressing Timothy as his dearly beloved son. (1 Tim 1:2 & 2 Tim 1:2)
But... according to "The Life and Teachings of Jesus Christ and His Apostles," (an institute manual)
It states that Timothy was born of a Greek father and a Jewish mother named Eunice and lived in either Lystra or Derbe where he was converted to the gospel by Paul during Paul's first missionary journey. He then became a very dear friend to Paul and they traveled together as companions during Paul's second missionary journey.
In 2 Timothy 1:5, Paul mentions Timothy's grandmother named Lois and his mother named Eunice. So IF Timothy was Paul's biological son then Eunice would have been Paul's wife and Lois either Paul's mother or mother-in-law. But this is not the case.
Next, in Paul's epistle to Titus he addresses Titus as, "mine own son after the common faith." (Titus 1:4)
But again from the institute manual, Titus is Greek and his parents were most likely Gentiles so again, not Paul's biological son, but rather a convert of Paul's and just like Timothy, Titus also accompanied Paul on a missionary journey as his companion.
Thanks for the additional info! I have certainly learned a lot. I will pass all of this on to grandpa. He will love it!
Post a Comment