Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I need some inspiration

I am a horrible visiting teacher. I used to be decent, now I'm just plain horrible. At first I was in denial, but today when the visiting teaching supervisor called I confessed quite openly that I didn't even try. Right after she called I added her name to her phone number and saved it so that I can avoid answering it next time. That's the moment that I realized how horrible I've become.

My next thought was about what an awesome visiting teacher Grandma was and I wish I could call her and get some inspiration to repent and do a better job. Anyone know what her secret was?

8 comments:

LeShel said...

sometimes I get in a slump and have a hard time even wanting to participate. I totally get what you're saying. When I get like this I try to figure out what's bugging me about it and try to solve that. Sometimes I just send a letter that month and take the month off. Everyone needs a break.

Treena said...

I don’t think you are alone by any means in your struggle to visit teach. The numbers in our ward are consistently low. So maybe cut yourself some slack there. I don’t know for sure what Grandma’s secret was but I have a few guesses. Whether they will be of any help…I don’t know. I think one reason she did it was out of a sense of duty. She was from the generation that believed if you committed to do something, come hell or high water you did it. But I also think she did it because she loved to visit with people, whether they were “assigned” to her or not, and she often took along a tasty little treat. But I think the most important reason she did it was because she loves the Savior and wanted to show that love by serving His children. Even later in her life as her physical pain increased she was willing to sacrifice her own comfort and keep doing it.
Boy, now I’ve made myself feel guilty about my lack of effort. Guess I better get with it too. :-)

LeShel said...

i keep thinking about this because next month our ward is focusing on VTing. I'd love anyone's comments on why it is difficult to VT. I know why I have a hard time but my guess is there are lots of different reasons.

Treena said...

Well, here's one reason for me. As idiotic as it sounds, I hate making the appointments. I HATE HATE HATE making phone calls. I'm always afraid I'm bothering people. Or else I leave a message and they never call back so I have to get my nerve up again to call. So to avoid the phone call I am always chasing down my people at church. Right now I have one less active sister and I do call her but it's a trial for me every month to do it. I don't have a companion right now, but my idea of an ideal one would be someone who would make the appointments and let me just do the message. I know, I need serious help.

Deb Hansen said...

I have found that I have to get to know and love the ladies that I visit teach. If I don't have a personal relationship with the ladies, I have no guilt about slacking.

Liz said...

Testing, testing, testing. I put a post on early this morning and it is missing ??????

Liz said...

I'll send it in an e-mail to
Treena
LeShel
Amy
If any one else is interested you can e-mail me and ask for my feelings on V.T.

Treena said...

Liz, I looked around in the blog and I can't figure out what happened to your earlier post. Looks like it's working for you now. Glad you're back!