So this week has probably been one of the most amazing weeks of my mission and
has totally changed my perspective on things. I've learned that when we ask for things from Heavenly Father he
answers them and usually gives us even more than what we've asked for. My answer
came last week in the form of a 6 year old girl named Reine . . . When Reine was
younger she suffered from a horrible burn accident that left her poor little
face deformed and in need of a lot of medical attention. Being in a south
American country they couldn't get the care that she needed and what they could
do was super expensive . . . because of this her mother disowned her and left
her in the care of her aunt. They came to America to try to get help.
She has now grown but her face it totally scarred and deformed. She has no eyelids or
lips and now has a growth the size of a soft ball growing on the side of her
head.
Her Aunt married a man that she currently wishes she never would have and is
going through problems . . . When she talks about Reine sometimes she blames her
for the situation that she is in and talks about how she is always having to
stay home and take care of her. But Reine . . . is the most beautiful person I
have ever met.The reason why she is beautiful is because she knows who she
is and shes perfectly content in her situation. She has so much love for
everyone even her Aunt that complains about her. In fact she even sticks up for
her Aunt when her husband is saying mean things to her.
Despite everything that's going on around her she is perfectly in balance and happy. Sitting by her and
listening to her read me a book while her aunt and husband work things out made
me realize what beauty really is and what it means to Heavenly Father.
Its nothing physical at all. Beauty to God is knowing who you are and
loving the person that's inside of you. Beauty is being in balance with yourself
and being content with exactly the way you are because all that really matters
is that we are children of God and that he loves us and to him . . . we are
beautiful because we are who we are. I can't even begin to tell you the
difference that little girl has made in my life and she didn't have to do anything but be herself.
Thats how we make a difference . . . by being ourselves
and being exactly how Heavenly Father created us - as beautiful. As we were
leaving she gave us both a huge hug and when Sister Skinner told her she loved
her without holding anything back she said "I love you guys too!" as we walked
out the door. I feel completely changed.
5 comments:
Wonderful experience and reminder. Thanks for sharing it with us. My computer is back in the shop and I am using Kim's while he is in the Uintahs on the annual hike. When he goes back to work I hope to have mine back and up. Best Buy installed the wrong operating system and there were conflicts. I have a LOVE/HATE for computers. It may turn more to a hatred if this continues.
HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY!!!!
thanks for this --- struggling lately and this helps with perspective and finding peace --- love you!!
Glad it was helpful....love you too!
That was awesome! Thanks for posting that. Sometimes the most awful of situations bring out the most beauty in people.
I have loved watching my girls grow up and become amazing women. I have become a great letter writer because of my missionaries that were once (super annoying) beehives.
Thanks for sharing!
Isn’t it the greatest thing to watch them grow up? I love it. It’s been awhile since I served in YW but I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately. Not only because of the email but because a family in our ward that are moving were closely tied to my time in that calling. She was one of my counselors and he was the YM president at the same time I was in. I grew to love both of them very much. Stacey was so good with the girls and such a support to me (sometimes she had to remind me I was a leader and not one of the girls) and Justin could take my sarcasm and throw it right back at me. We worked so well together! But alas, it’s all just a very fond memory now, but one I’m very glad I have. Sorry to ramble…
Post a Comment