Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A dinner success story!


My very least favorite thing about being a mother happens three times a day, whether I like it or not. Mealtime usually equals misery at my house. Macie eats very little and is quite picky about what she will eat. She gets bored with sitting at the table before the prayer is finished and tries to negotiate by telling me she will "come back for bites." We've tried so many different tactics to get food in her..with little avail. Carsen on the other hand eats most anything and has finished off Macie's plate on many occasions....but, Carsen is in the throwing food stage so we have to watch out for flying objects and spend the rest of the evening cleaning up dinner off the floors, walls, chairs and even the ceiling on her especially crazy demonstrations.

Tonight was different....peaceful...no complaints...no negotiating....awe what a moment.

I have to thank Treena for her Ranch Chicken Recipe.

I have made this and other chicken breast dished before and they have always been rejected. Macie turns her nose up and spends 3 hours chewing a single bite. Tonight I was really wanting the yummy ranch chicken and was planning a little PB&J for Macie when she came into the chicken to ask me what I was making. I told her chicken and she asked, "Chicken nuggets?" What a great idea I thought! So instead of cooking Treena's dish as chicken breasts I cut the chicken up into bite-sized pieces and then following the steps of coating them in butter and then in the cornflake, ranch, cheese mixture. I baked them on a cookie sheet at 375 degrees for only about 20 minutes and they were done.

Oh my...this is when the sweet bliss began...

"Mommy, this is my favorite chicken."

"Can I have more?"

"Thanks for dinner, mom!"

Carsen even did her little sign language for "more" and "thank you". They were a hit and when Mike got home from work about an hour later he was excited for Ranch Chicken and didn't mind that it had been cut into bites for him already.

Same great taste! Thanks for the great recipe, Treena!
(If only my cooked carrot side dish had been a hit as well.)


5 comments:

Treena said...

I love this pic. It makes you guys seem so close instead of clear across the country. As I sit here eating my McDonalds cheeseburger I'm wishing I had some Ranch chicken. I think that's the first time anyone has ever thanked me for a recipe since cooking and I are at different ends of the spectrum. Making them into nuggets is a great idea!

LeShel said...

YEAH! I am so glad that you found a meal the whole family likes. It's like that song, "to dream, the impossible dream." I have a meal like that. It's called Pizza, store bought of course :)

Jenny Hansen said...

Hey, can I get that Ranch chicken recipe? It sounds good. My boys will pick all vegetables off their hamburgers before eating them. Not because they don't like it-they are just doing what their dad does. Love you Gage!

Treena said...

Hey if he's drinking "dew" while he's pulling that hamburger apart it's not all bad...hee hee.

We haven't gotten everything unpacked since the remodel, such as cookbooks and recipes but I'll try to dig it up for you.

Liz said...

We use the recipe all the time. Jon loves "Ranch", thus this was a big hit with him several months ago. Someone in my family with two hands to type could do it in seconds. Treena, we also make the jell-o salad (dessert) with the pretzel crust and the rice and curly pasta. We always make it when we make the chicken we have to have this as a side dish.